Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes
Every season can be “slow cooker season” if done properly! Slow cookers are an easy way to take the time-consuming dread of making healthy meals out of your meal planning. Simply prepare the ingredients, add them to your cooker, set the timer and off you go! Take a look at these health-conscious slow cooker meals for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Banana Nut Oatmeal (serves 4)
- 1 cup of steel cut oats
- 3 cups of water
- 1 cup (1%) of milk
- ¼ tsp. of salt
- 2 tbsp. almond butter
- 2 medium (approx. 120 grams each) bananas
- 1 tbsp. honey
- Lightly coat slow cooker with low-fat cooking spray
- Combine oats, water, milk and salt in a slow cooker
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Remove into bowls or containers (for meal prep)
- When ready to eat, top evenly with banana slices
- Stir almond butter and honey
Approximate Nutrition Details per 1 of 4 servings
- Calories: 336
- Fat: 8g
- Sodium: 177mg
- Carbohydrates: 57g
- Fibre: 7g
- Protein: 11g
Turkey Chili (serves 8)
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 ½ lbs. of lean ground turkey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. of tomato paste
- 1 28-oz. can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 ½ cups of low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tsp. of chilli powder
- 1 tsp. of ground cumin
- 1 tsp. of dried oregano
- Sprinkle of kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Shredded low-fat cheddar, for garnish
- Sliced green onion, for garnish
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat olive oil.
- Add onion and pepper and cook until beginning to soften (about 4 minutes).
- Add ground turkey and cook, occasionally stirring, until the turkey is golden (it doesn’t have to be thoroughly cooked through at this point).
- Season with salt and pepper then stir in garlic and tomato paste and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a slow cooker, adding the tomatoes, black beans, kidney beans, chicken broth, chilli powder, cumin and oregano.
- Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours, or high for 4 hours, until the chilli has thickened.
- Garnish with cheese and green onion, if desired.
Approximate Nutrition Details per 1 of 8 servings
- Calories 251
- Fat 8g
- Protein 28g
- Fiber 7g
- Carbohydrates 28g
For more ideas on how to follow a more liver-healthy diet, learn how to eat the best and leave the rest.