Join the Canadian Liver Foundation, and help us bring liver research to life for all Canadians. Liver disease affects children, women, and men equally, sometimes with fatal consequences. 1 in 4 Canadians may be affected by liver disease, and many do not even know it.
As a member of the CLF team, you will join us in our mandate to promote liver health and reduce the incidence and impact of liver disease by providing support for research and education into the causes, diagnoses, prevention, and treatment of liver disease.
View our current career opportunities below:
Position: Manager, Marketing & Communications
Reports to: Director, Marketing & Communications
Location: Markham, Ontario
The Canadian Liver Foundation is seeking a Manager, Marketing & Communications. This is a full-time permanent position reporting to the Director, Marketing & Communications, initially working virtually from home (during COVID-19) and later transitioning to the National office in Markham, Ontario.
To fulfil the role, this strong, dynamic, and entrepreneurial individual will need to be a strong member of the marketing & communications team.
Core Roles & Responsibilities
Marketing and Communications
- Assist with the development of all aspects of advertising for marketing and media materials such as PSAs, digital ads and print material as required.
- Support the development of print and electronic communications and marketing materials, including the CLF Annual Report.
- Support production of communications and marketing materials, including external and internal pieces.
- Coordinate with regional teams for promotion of their events, projects, and programs.
- Write compelling pieces for community engagement, fundraising, and awareness.
- Manage translation into French of all documents intended for online distribution and other documents, as needed.
- Build and maintain excellent relationships with CLF community, including patients, caregivers, doctors, volunteers (for the purpose of understanding audience needs and preferences, sourcing stories, etc.).
- Measure and report on marketing & communications program efforts including content marketing, earned media efforts, and more as needed.
- Bring an inclusive lens to our marketing & communications materials, ensuring to be conscious of inclusive language, perspectives and voices.
- Support direct marketing efforts including direct mail, tele–fundraising, and online fundraising, writing branded material as needed.
- Work alongside fund development to support the direct mail program as needed.
Digital & Social Media
- Create original content for blog posts, coordinate and secure contribution of guest blog posts.
- Assist with the development of all aspects of advertising for marketing and media materials such as paid and organic digital content, and more as needed.
- Create, coordinate translation and schedule content for national social media channels (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter).
- Support execution of digital campaign materials during key periods (Liver Health Month, STROLL for Liver, Giving Tuesday and Year-End Giving, etc.).
- Support email marketing program, working with the Manager, Database & Analytics to manage audience segmentation, marketing automations and email campaigns.
- Create and deploy emails in support of email marketing strategy using Luminate Online.
- Keep abreast of the latest tools, trends and platforms in the digital marketing space to maintain the digital program’s reach and effectiveness.
- Monitor industry news and mentions using Meltwater, providing internal summaries of media monitoring efforts.
- Write backgrounders, news releases and pitches on a variety of liver health and liver disease subjects, for key campaigns and national events.
- Source spokespeople for media interviews, coordinate media appearances and participate in media activity, as appropriate.
- Secure proactive earned media placements to position the CLF as an industry thought leader, for key campaign periods and for fundraising events.
- Track and respond to liver-related issues in the media.
- Field incoming media enquiries and work with the Director of Marketing and Communications to manage accordingly.
- Track and communicate metrics using reporting tools such as Meltwater and MRP.
- Build and maintain media contact lists and develop strong relationships with media contacts.
- Create marketing & communications materials for the STROLL for Liver including communications toolkits, key messages, community stories, and more as needed.
- Execute earned media strategies for national events including the STROLL for Liver.
- Work in partnership with Fund Development to create messaging and materials for sponsorship package for the STROLL for Liver.
- Work in partnership with Fund Development to support the creation of proposals and materials for sponsorship and corporate partnerships.
- Provide departmental invoices to the Director, Marketing & Communications as needed.
- Support liaison between the CLF and third-party vendors.
- Manage the Webmaster email inbox.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Experience, Skills, and Qualifications
- Post-secondary education in public relations, marketing, communications, digital marketing or relevant field.
- 3 – 4 years of experience in a digital communications role with social media and digital responsibilities.
- Solid understanding of integrated marketing and campaigns, media relations and communications.
- Superior writing skills, accuracy, and attention to detail.
- Superior verbal communication skills.
- Ability to apply creativity to a wide variety of challenges.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Ability to work well independently and in a team environment.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills with ability to build strong internal and external relationships.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Technical savvy, comfortable working with web and social applications and proficiency in Microsoft Office, social media management tools, Canva, MRP, Meltwater.
- Experience with the Adobe Creative Suite an asset.
- Highly organized and able to manage priorities in a high demand environment
- Willing to travel if required.
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle.
- Flexible to work occasional evenings and weekends if required.
- Fluency in English and French (written and verbal) is an asset.
Position: Director of Fund Development
Reports to: President & CEO
Location: Markham, Ontario
The Canadian Liver Foundation is seeking a Director of Fund Development. This is a full-time permanent position initially working virtually from home and later transitioning to the National office in Markham, Ontario.
Reporting to the President & CEO, this position is responsible for driving significant revenue growth through the development and implementation of impactful fundraising strategies. Acting as a key representative of the Foundation this position will design, direct, and manage a national development program focused on strengthening fundraising support in the regions and across the Foundation that currently includes telefundraising and direct mail initiatives, and the buildout of a newly implemented Client Relationship Management tool. This position will also be expected to cultivate all major corporate/foundation/individual donations, gifts, and sponsorship opportunities as well as develop new revenue streams that help support and achieve the Foundation’s mandate.
To fulfill the role, this strong, dynamic, and entrepreneurial individual will need to be a strong member of the management team and an effective leader who can motivate, manage, and inspire the Foundation’s regional and national development teams.
Core Roles & Responsibilities
- Develop, implement, and maintain an overall strategy for fundraising and growth for the Foundation, maximizing revenue for current programs and events and develop and implement new revenue streams including but not limited to corporate support, foundation support, major gifts, and online campaigns
- Develop, direct, and implement a national strategy to identify and cultivate new and diversified prospects leading to financial support
- Cultivate a network of high net worth individuals to support the Foundation’s mandate
- Build out and maintain an impactful Client Relationship Management (CRM) tool
- Manage, coach, and motivate staff to achieve and exceed fundraising targets, ensuring resources are maximized to their full potential
- Develop, coach, and manage the volunteer strategy for all fundraising departments of the Foundation
- Work with the President & CEO and support regional staff, training, and mentoring in major gift fundraising
- Fine-tune direct mail strategy with the goal of increasing our donor base and average gift amount
- Manage the telefundraising strategy and program elements
- Keep abreast of issues related to fundraising in Canada (i.e., Do Not Call list) and develop contingency plans as required
- Work with the Director of Marketing and Communications to develop and implement an online fundraising strategy
- Develop and implement a Planned Giving strategy
- Establish and maintain plans for short-term and long-term growth, ensuring the Foundation delivers on its mandate to support ongoing and new research and education initiatives
- Participate in the annual budget process, projecting accurate national fundraising revenue and expenses and plans to support projected targets
- Accountably ensure revenue and expense budgets are met/exceeded by the fundraising departments of the Foundation
- Set up appropriate monitoring mechanisms that ensure continued success and effectiveness of programs, providing weekly/monthly reports to the President & CEO
- Other duties as assigned
Required Experience, Skills, and Qualifications
- A strong track record with 5+ years of progressive and equivalent fundraising experience within a not-for-profit organization
- Knowledge and experience in the not-for-profit/health charity sector with planned giving, major gifts, corporate and foundation support, direct marketing, sponsorship, and marketing principles and practices
- Proven successful experience in cultivating corporate support and major gifts
- Possess an excellent understanding of budgets and forecasting
- Demonstrates creativity in fundraising techniques, including social media strategies and online campaigns
- Highly proficient with CRM donor databases and online fundraising tools
- Possess effective written, verbal, and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrate strong presentation and negotiation skills; capable of networking, building partnerships, and closing a deal
Required Abilities and Attributes
- A self-starter and a results-driven individual who is focused and motivated to meet/exceed financial targets
- Able to handle multiple priorities and meet deadlines
- Have a high emotional intelligence supported by strong communication and relationship management abilities
- Highly reliable with the capacity to work on own initiative
- Accurate and detail-oriented
- Are willing and able to travel
- Flexible to work occasional evenings and weekends
- Fluency in French (written and verbal) is an asset